About Our People, Products, Services
Board of Directors 2018-2019
- President: Sarah Strother,
- Past President: Andrew Franklin,
- First Vice-President: Tim Shoults,
- Second Vice-President: Todd Hamilton,
The Northern View
- Treasurer: Doug Foot, Glacier Media
- Director: Sarah Holmes, Gabriola Sounder
- Director: Susan Attiana,
The Local Weekly
- Director: Karen Hill,
Kelowna Capital News
- Director: Andy Holota,
The mission of the B.C. & Yukon Community Newspapers Association is to:
- Promote the welfare of the community newspaper industry and the interests of the press
- Promote and cultivate co-operation, understanding, a spirit of fraternal regard and friendly relations among its members
- Improve standards in the practice of the profession of journalism, and to promote a high standard of conduct and professional ethics in the business of newspaper publishing
- Promote and foster programs and services to the common good of its members
- Facilitate the sharing of ideas and experience between members.
The BCYCNA is committed to supporting and encouraging youth to entertain a career in the community newspaper industry. As such, we partner with journalism programs at colleges and universities around the province to offer scholarships. We even invite the winners to attend our annual Ma Murray Awards Gala! If you’re a journalism student interested in working community newspapers, talk to your instructors!
Also, in association with Langara College, the BCYCNA is delighted to help present the Penny Wise Journalism Scholarship for Women – an annual award to help a woman attend the Certificate program in Journalism at Langara College. This scholarship is provided through the generosity of the late Evelyn A. Caldwell, known to generations of newspaper readers as “Penny Wise.” Learn more here.