About Our People, Products, Services
Board of Directors 2017-2018
- President: Andrew Franklin,
- Past President: Sarah Holmes,
- Vice-President: Tim Shoults,
- Treasurer: Doug Foot,
- Director: Peter McCully,
Parksville/Qualicum Beach News
- Director: Susan Attiana,
The Local Weekly
- Director: Todd Hamilton,
The Northern View
- Director: Sarah Strother,
Whistler Question and Pique
- Director: Karen Hill,
Kelowna Capital News
The mission of the B.C. & Yukon Community Newspapers Association is to:
- Promote the welfare of the community newspaper industry and the interests of the press
- Promote and cultivate co-operation, understanding, a spirit of fraternal regard and friendly relations among its members
- Improve standards in the practice of the profession of journalism, and to promote a high standard of conduct and professional ethics in the business of newspaper publishing
- Promote and foster programs and services to the common good of its members
- Facilitate the sharing of ideas and experience between members.
The BCYCNA is committed to supporting and encouraging youth to entertain a career in the community newspaper industry. As such, we partner with journalism programs at colleges and universities around the province to offer scholarships. We even invite the winners to attend our annual Ma Murray Awards Gala! If you’re a journalism student interested in working community newspapers, talk to your instructors!
Also, in association with Langara College, the BCYCNA is delighted to help present the Penny Wise Journalism Scholarship for Women – an annual award to help a woman attend the Certificate program in Journalism at Langara College. This scholarship is provided through the generosity of the late Evelyn A. Caldwell, known to generations of newspaper readers as “Penny Wise.” Learn more here.